Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"Newlyweds"

I came home from work very angry today. Seriously annoyed. And I don't get seriously annoyed. I think it's pent up frustration that finally popped. Yes, popped.

I understand that I am not an expert on marriage. I have only been married 8 months... I am quite positive there are a great many things I have not yet figured out about marriage. I know, I know... I don't know everything? Shocking!

Regardless, I'm sick of people telling me my opinions of marriage aren't valid because we're "just newlyweds". I'm sick of being told that I shouldn't miss my husband when he goes out of town.. in fact, in a year, I'll LOVE it when he's gone. I'm sick of my husband being told that pretty soon he's going to get tired of eating only green skittles and is going to want to try some different flavors. I'm sick of being told I haven't experienced "real marriage" yet.

My response? You're an idiot.

I understand some people say this in jest. I'm not regarding them. I have a sense of humor, I understand. I am talking to you people who have had bad experiences with marriage, or aren't happy with where you are in life, and feel the need to condemn my marriage and tell me I know nothing about it. False.

I know that it takes work. I know that life isn't always wonderful. I also know that life wouldn't always be wonderful if I were by myself, either. So I chose to have a wonderful (or not-so-wonderful, depending on who you are) life with my best friend. I am genuinely happy and insanely in love. And a year from now, or five years from now, or whenever your definition of "real marriage" starts... I can't wait to show you how "newlywed happy" we still are.

(A little venting for the new year.. sorry!)

Also, thanks to all the INCREDIBLE couples I know who have shown me that a happy marriage lasts beyond the first year. My parents, Nick's parents, Katie & Rob, Brian & Kelly, Julie and her husband, all of my uncles, aunts.. grandparents. I don't care how many of you tell me marriage gets old.. tell it to these people.

PS- In response to the skittle comment at work, Nick took in a bag of ONLY green skittles the next day. Best husband ever.

3 comments:

  1. Amen Sista! You tell em! And thanks for the shout out! You make us feel special. PS I want to take pictures of you two happy people next time I come down and I am excited to see you guys in March when you come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so we're totally not "Newlywed In Love." I love my husband WAY more than I did when we were first married. I would miss him like crazy if he ever went out of town without me and we've been married for 4.5 years and have almost three kids. Basically what I'm trying to say is that as far as I'm concerned there are ONLY green skittles. The other ones don't even exist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! I'm flattered that Rob and I made your list! I'm so happy that you and Nick found each other and love each other dearly. You shall clearly have a fabulous eternity of green skittle LOVE :)

    ReplyDelete