Monday, February 28, 2011

come what may, and love it

Today has been a rough days. Just one of those days where everything seems to go wrong, even though everything is really just fine. Thank goodness for the wise words of those who love us.


"'Come what may, and love it.'


"How can we love days that are filled with sorrow? We can't--at least not in the moment. I don't think my mother was suggesting that we suppress discouragement or deny the reality of pain. I don't think she was suggesting that we smother unpleasant truths beneath a cloak of pretended happiness. But I do believe that the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life.


"If we approach adversities wisely, our hardest times can be times of greatest growth, which in turn can lead toward times of greatest happiness.


"Over the years I have learned a few things that have helped me through times of testing and trial. I would like to share them with you.


"1. Learn to Laugh: The next time you're tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable.


"2. Seek for the Eternal: Learning to endure times of disappointment, suffering, and sorrow is part of our on-the-job training. These experiences, while often difficult to bear at the time, are precisely the kinds of experiences that stretch our understanding, build our character, and increase our compassion for others.


"3. The Principle of Compensation: That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at the time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude.


"4. Trust in the Father and the Son: The simple secret is this: put your trust in the Lord, do your best, then leave the rest to Him."


That will be my motto this week. I will come what may, and I will love it.


Source: Come What May, and Love It by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

1 comment:

  1. I love this talk. It has helped me get through a lot of tough times in my life. Hang in there. Remember, good things are ahead!

    ReplyDelete